Monday, August 17, 2009

Spine 1 & 2- Lest we forget how fragile we are

Recently, my life partner was thrown from a horse she was working with. She broke her back- I found her in the pasture, crumpled, face down and not moving. She has struggled back from that lowest point miraculously and will walk again, will do all again.

My thoughts have been infiltrated with the weeks of Doctor chatter about spinal injury, paralysis, trauma, and titanium. The imagery below is a manifestation of this infiltration. The blue vertebrae is "L1'- the one that was shattered. Titanium rods were installed with screws in T12 and T11 as well as L2 and L3.
























As I thought about this piece (watercolor and ink) I remembered that a spine-like image had appeared in my mind's eye once before, long ago. I dug out that drawing, created in 1994. I caught my breath upon closer inspection... the metal plate in the drawing was at L1.
























Whether an early premonition or an eerie coincidence, the imagery has become deeply significant, as have recent events and the miracles that have steadily followed them.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I wondered at the spine image when you first posted it, and I didn't quite know what to say. Now I see how this is such a trauma to both of you - to your partner for the physical and emotional pain and to you for the emotional strength you must find. It is eerie that you drew this back then, and it certainly seem prescient. I wish healing for you both.

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Thank you very much Karen. We are indeed both healing.

S.L. Corsua said...

I'm deeply saddened to hear of her accident. I suddenly remember Christopher Reeve, and his struggles after his own mishap. Your beloved is gifted with the miracle of a second chance at walking.

I know how it feels to experience severe, spastic back pain and how one's consciousness can be thwacked by the necessity of strong muscle relaxants and painkillers; most of all, I know the fear of permanently losing control of and sensation from the waist down (I had recurring episodes on a daily basis) -- the threat of not being able to walk at all. At all. It's unbearably scary, and so many sacrifices are made, but the end sought is WORTH IT. Please tell your loved one that I empathize, and fervently hope for her complete recovery.

E said...

I wondered at that drawing too and am so sad now to read about the injury. May your family find peace and healing as I'm sure the recovery will take some time. Our recoveries do find strength in those around us. Take care, friend.

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

S.L.-- Thanks for the well wishes and empathy, and for sharing your story. I am sorry you went through that, but you seem to have emerged a stronger, more vibrant person.

E- Thanks. We are all learning to better "know how sublime a thing it is to suffer and be strong." (Henry Wadsworth)

Please, all, keep writing. You are all such inspirations.

RachelW said...

I'm sending healing thoughts your way. How awful to find her crumpled like that, and yes, to have had this premonition. I'm glad to hear she will fully recover.